Kalsubai with the height of 1646m [5400 Feet] is famous as one of the highest peaks in Maharashtra. Kalsubai lies in the Sahyadri mountain range. This being the highest peak, it commands a beautiful view. Since Kalsubai is extremely famous, enough effort has been made to make this trek easy. There are steel railings, chains, and ladders at places where it is difficult to climb. There is a symbolic temple at the top. It is truly believed by the local villagers that a housemaid residing in a nearby village had disappeared near the mountain while trying to escape for the employer’s Harsh suffering. This gives the mountain its present name, Kalsubai.
A small temple is built here, in her memory. From the top of Mount Kalsubai, one can get a great view of the Bhandardara Lake and Wison dam, immediately after the rainy season, the place is covered with a variety of flowers. It usually takes three hours to reach the top from Bari. Soon after leaving Bari, a small stream is crossed followed soon after by a Hanuman temple. The route from behind this temple takes the hiker straight to the summit. There are three iron ladders along this route. There is a well near the last iron ladder as one approaches the top. The rest of the route is without water, so it is best to fill water bottles in Bari. It is an easy hike, but parts of it are quite steep in places.
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Easy
ENDURANCE LEVEL: Easy
HEIGHT: 5400 ft.
Board Kasara local from Mumbai CST on Saturday.
Kasara Train timing as below:
- CSMT – 22:50
- Dadar – 23:05
- Ghatkopar – 23:18
- Thane – 23:34
- Kalyan – 00:07
- Kasara – 01:18
For Pune Participants
- Board Indrayani train from Pune at 18:35
- Reach Kalyan 21:00 (have dinner before you board the train)
- Board local train till Kasara.
Saturday – Leave from CSMT and Board the 22:50 Kasara Local.
Sunday – Kalsubai Trek
- 01:30 Assemble at Kasara Railway Station
- Reach Base Village at 05.00 am approximate. Rest for some time. Enjoy the bonfire.
- Breakfast and freshen up. Commencement of the trek after briefing and a short introduction
- Reach Kalsubai top by 12:00 pm approx. Spend some time relaxing on the top and have some snacks.
- Start descending by 1.00 pm and reach to the base village.
- Enjoy a heavy meal and departure to Mumbai by 4.30 pm approx.
- Reach Mumbai by 10:00 pm with lots of memories
- Road Transportation from Kasara to Kasara
- Snacks during the trek
- First Aid
- Travel till Kasara and back
- Anything not mentioned in the above inclusions list
- Trekking Shoes (compulsory)
- Water Bottle (Minimum 2ltr)
- 1 Extra Pair of Clothes and rainwear
- Carry all your luggage in a shoulder bag/ rucksack
- Personal Medications, if any.
- Identity Proof
- An extra bag to keep your wet clothes
Keep bags as light as possible.